IUCN Commission awards
IUCN Commissions offer various awards to deserving individuals and organisations in their fields.
Species Survival Commission awards (SSC)
- The Peter Scott Award for Conservation Merit. This award is presented to individuals in recognition of exceptional service and leadership to species conservation over many years through their work with the SSC.
- The George Rabb Award for Conservation Innovation. This award is given to individuals in recognition of their delivering transformational advances in conservation theory and practice, and specifically for outstanding innovation and creativity in species conservation in the context of the SSC.
- The Harry Messel Award for Conservation Leadership. This award recognizes emerging leadership in the SSC, especially from individuals who have made a specific contribution to species conservation on the ground through their leadership, as part of an SSC Specialist Group or Task Force.
- The SSC Chair’s Citation of Excellence. This award is given by the Chair of the Commission in recognition of outstanding contributions to SSC.
Commission on Ecosystem Management awards (CEM)
- Luc Hoffmann Award is granted to members of the Commission who have demonstrated exceptional initiative in ecosystem management in accord with criteria and procedures adopted by the Steering Committee.
- Young Professional Leadership Award is granted to a Young Professional who has demonstrated outstanding leadership in ecosystem management in accord with criteria and procedures adopted by the Steering Committee.
World Commission on Protected Areas awards (WCPA)
- The Fred Packard Award is made to individuals or groups to recognise outstanding service to protected and conserved areas.
- The Kenton Miller Award celebrates individuals who are taking bold steps in protecting these most valued resources by recognising their invaluable and innovative work with a 5,000 USD grant, international recognition by their peers and accompanying citation.
- The Pathfinder Award recognises outstanding and innovative solutions for protected and conserved areas, developed and implemented by individuals, organisations or groups.
- The International Ranger Award aims to highlight and felicitate the extraordinary work that rangers do in protected and conserved areas worldwide.
- The WCPA Chair Award is awarded to members of WCPA who have provided exceptional and dedicated leadership and service to the Commission.
World Commission on Environmental Law (WCEL)
- WCEL Achievement Award - since 1984, the ELI Environmental Achievement Award has honoured individuals and organizations for demonstrating outstanding commitment to environmental protection.
Commission on Environmental, Economic and Social Policy (CEESP)
- CEESP Honorary Chair Award - awarded to a CEESP leader who has significantly contributed to the vision and future of CEESP in the past - and who continues to support CEESP after their official leadership term is over.
- Conservation Contributor - awarded to an individual who went above and beyond in their contributions to conservation and to the work and mission of IUCN CEESP.
- CEESP Agent of Change - awarded to a CEESP member who identifies areas of need vis-a-vis the Commission's areas of work, and who takes action to address those needs.
- CEESP Meritorious Research Award - awarded in recognition of outstanding and inspirational research over a career that has contributed to increased understanding of the relations between societies and their environment, in the pursuit of beneficial, equitable and just forms of biodiversity conservation.
- CEESP Award for Indigenous Conservation and Advancement - awarded for an outstanding record of working to promote the linkages between cultural and biological diversity.
Commission on Education and Communication (CEC)
- Excellence Awards – the awards are given in each CEC Region to an individual, to reward and recognise IUCN CEC members’ commitment and achievements in engaging people with nature conservation, achieving the goals of IUCN though networking, communication and education and strengthening the One Union approach.
- #NatureForAll Award - The #NatureForAll Award is given in each CEC Region to an individual. The #NatureForAll Award will be presented to the winner during an Awards Ceremony at the Regional Conservation Forum, or another IUCN relevant event in the region over the course of the year.
- Award for Commitment to Conservation - This award celebrates an outstanding member, organization, or group in their contribution to creative tools and approaches to raise awareness and inspire action to conserve nature. The CEC Award for Commitment to Conservation is given every four years at the IUCN Conservation Congress.
- Young Professional Award - The CEC Young Professional Award is given to a CEC young member for his/her commitment to conservation and his/her outstanding role in supporting the mission of the Commission at a young age. The CEC Young Professional Award is given every four years at the IUCN Conservation Congress.