The main purpose of this grant is to encourage and promote activities that contribute to the Species Conservation Cycle ratified as the SSC framework in our Species Strategic Plan 2021-2025, through the allocation of small funds —from ($USD) $2,000 to $3,500. These funds are available thanks to this partnership with the Environment Agency Abu Dhabi. In addition, as well as falling under the Species Conservation Cycle framework, we also seek to support those activities specified by SSC groups in their annual ‘SSC DATA’ target setting and reporting effort.
Timeline: We will have two rounds of applications per year, open during January and June. Applicants will have one month to submit their proposals.
Priorities: This round will be open for all the components of our Species Conservation Cycle. It means that we will fund requests related to:
- Assess: Understand and inform the world about the status and trends of biodiversity.
- Plan: Develop collaborative, inclusive, science-based conservation strategies, plans, and policies.
- Act: Convene and mobilise conservation actions to improve the status of biodiversity.
- Network: Enhance and support our immediate network and alliances to achieve our biodiversity targets.
- Communicate: Drive strategic and targeted communications to enhance our conservation impact.
Who can apply
This funding opportunity will be open to the entire SSC Network: Specialist Groups, Stand-alone Red List Authorities, Task Forces, Conservation Committees and National Species Specialist Groups. The proposal must be submitted by the chair or a member of the group properly registered in the IUCN Union Portal.
- The proposal must be approved by the SSC Group leaders. Please include the chair’s endorsement within the Application form. You can find an example here: Letter of Endorsement
- The project will focus on species or small groups of species, it can be any taxon or region.
- The budget must clearly show how the funds will be used to cover all of the activities performed by the project indicated in the proposal, which will be carried out in 2023 -2024 and which contributes to a target set for the SSC Group for the current quadrennium (2021-2025). Priority will be given to targets set for implementation during 2023-2024.
- The budget may only be used to cover the activities described in the proposal and in the timeline. In the event that the project receives other funds, it is important that the budget table indicates the additional funds already secured to enable project implementation.
- Allocated budget per project of US$ 3,500 maximum. Funds can be used to cover the partial or total cost of the proposed activity.
- The implementation of the timeline of activities can be less than 12 months up to a maximum of 24 months. Any extension of the project date must be notified in advance to Mayerlin Ramos via email (email@example.com) informing the reasons for the extension request.
- The work must be carried out within the SSC Group and may or may not involve partner organizations, universities or a research group.
SSC DATA Information System: requirements
- The SSC group must be properly registered in the SSC DATA Information System.
- The project’s targets must MATCH those registered in SSC DATA Information System for the current five-year period (2021-2025).
- SSC Group results for 2021 and 2022 must be uploaded into SSC DATA Information System (SSC Group Chair, click on this link SSC DATA IS Resources for further instructions on how to upload information into the system). In case you need support contact Levi Mendoza (Levi.Mendoza@ssc.iucn.org)