The Science and Management Theme promotes the use of science to support effective protected area management. Most of the work under the theme is carried out through Specialist Groups and task Forces such as the Management Effectiveness and Green List Specialist Groups and Biodiversity and Protected Areas Task Force.
A Working Group on Protected Area Agency –based Science is examining the value and contribution of in-house agency science towards informing conservation management and policy. The group is working to:
- Promote policy-relevant science programs as a dimension of effective conservation;
- Report on the use of evidence and peer-reviewed science (including that generated by agency scientists) in making conservation decisions, including mitigating threats and managing protected areas;
- Develop principles for assessing in-house science achievements (regarding rigor, relevance and engagement) of conservation agencies;
- Create enabling environments for agency science functions (leadership styles, accountability and flexibility, essential resources and workspace); and
- Measure capacity of scientific work in agencies.
The Science and Management theme is also preparing a a draft code of practice for conduct of research and monitoring in protected areas (see the download in the right column).
Thematic Group Vice Chair: