Conservationists have a community, an international space for the problems they have conquered, a way to find how others have solved their conservation conundrums, and the building blocks to answer their current and future issues. This is PANORAMA, and we celebrate reaching more than 555 comprehensive solutions stored within reach of your fingertips.
“What if we could identify the best local and regional solutions, and promote them for learning at a global level?” asks the introductory paragraph of the PANORAMA - Solutions for a Healthy Planet web platform. This is the basic concept behind the collection, storage and open access to the more than 555 solutions now entered by the community.
Some solutions have been viewed more than 10,000 times but regardless of views, all are examples of inspiring, replicable solutions across a range of conservation and sustainable development topics, and enable cross-sectoral learning and inspiration. Practitioners share and reflect on their experiences, increase recognition for their successful work, and learn with their peers how similar challenges have been addressed around the globe.
As each solution is broken into “building blocks”, all of these successes can then be replicated, in full or in part, elsewhere in the world. Solutions are context-specific, so are not seen as hard, fixed proof-points, but as toolboxes to apply to problems, and to inspire learning across different geographic areas and themes.
Different thematic disciplines and communities contribute to PANORAMA, including a dedicated theme on “protected areas”, featuring over 300 examples from parks, community reserves, marine protected areas and other types of sites all around the world.
Some of the most recent additions to PANORAMA include:
- The reintroduction of indigenous vegetables, with all their benefits, to central Kenyan farming.
- The creation of eco-corridors between protected areas in Armenia by setting up community-based conservation.
- The fight to save Taiwan's Datan algal reef from threatening port development. Datan reef is a unique biotic reef with more than 7,500 years of history, mainly constructed by crustose coralline algae (CCA).
In 2019 alone, over 100 new solutions were published, from Armenia to Taiwan (above), and from Mexico to Burkina Faso, including a number of Solutions in Spanish and French. Many others have been updated in the past few months.
The most viewed solutions on PANORAMA include:
- Establishing Indigenous Community Conserved Areas in the Philippines.
- Protecting hawksbill sea turtle eggs using community incentive programs.
- A multi-actor alliance to reduce the risks of cascading hazards in Sian Ka'an.
Your solutions and voice are needed, and in turn, you will be able to find help for your conservation problems and questions through others' solutions and the living PANORAMA community you can interact with. There may be some practitioners who have already faced what you are encountering now or in the future.