Key features of the five year programme of work between IUCN and Nestlé Nespresso SA are detailed below:
1. Overall purpose
Overall purpose of this agreement is to enhance the way nature and environmental issues are addressed within Nespresso and its supply chains.
2. Strategic objectives
The objectives of the Partnership are:
- create a market differentiation for sustainability (including biodiversity) performance throughout the aluminum value chain;
- measure and strengthen the ecological outcomes of the Nespresso Ecolaboration™ commitments; and
- explore new business models which are designed to minimize Nespresso’s footprint on the environment.
3. Specific areas of cooperation
The AluCycle™ Programme. The overall objective of the AluCycle™ component of the Agreement is to create a market differentiation for sustainability (including biodiversity) performance throughout the aluminum value chain. The 2010 programme will focus on recycling and traceability.
In terms of recycling the AluCycle™ programme proposes to:
- promoting the acceptance of capsules into national packaging recycling schemes in Nespresso markets (initially France, then expanding to key European markets such as Benelux, Spain and Portugal, Austria and the UK, as well as the European Union itself); and
- developing the business model (including a financing mechanism if needed) for expanded adoption of appropriate sorting technology for capturing Nespresso capsules in packaging sorting centres.
In terms of traceability working together in coalition with other consumer product groups using aluminum in their packaging as well as with the aluminum sector directly, the AluCycle™ Initiative will initiate a scheme for tracing aluminum produced sustainably through the aluminum value chain, thus enabling Nespresso to source sustainably produced aluminum.
The expected results of the traceability component of the AluCycle™ programme are:
- Differentiation of aluminum based on sustainability practices in the aluminum value chain.
- Implementation of responsible aluminum, through which IUCN and Nespresso aim to enhance the way sustainability and, in particular, ecological issues are addressed within Nespresso and its supply chains, working towards reducing the Nespresso footprint on the environment
Ultimately the traceability component of the AluCycle™ will enable Nespresso to source sustainably produced aluminum for its capsules.
4. Coordination, Communication, and Administration
The IUCN Nespresso Partnership requires overall coordination, communication and administration. To that end, IUCN to coordinate the IUCN Nespresso partnership in the following activities:
- convene Steering Committee meetings
- collect reports and information from projects
- prepare communication materials for the partnership
- prepare progress reports as specified in the agreement