- Explore over 370 examples of solutions around protected areas and other topics on the PANORAMA web platform, and contribute your own.
- Watch past PANORAMA webinars on a range of topics, including gender mainstreaming solutions for protected areas, transboundary protected area solutions for sustainability and peace, island solutions, engaging young people in protected areas, protected area tourism, and African Protected Area Solutions to Climate Change.
- View the PANORAMA leaflet here
- Sign up to receive the PANORAMA news
- Follow the "PANORAMA Solution of the Week" on Facebook and Twitter with #PANORAMASolutions.
The Global Protected Areas Programme leads on assembling solutions that showcase how protected areas provide solutions to a multitude of challenges, such as climate change, food and water security. It also promotes innovative approaches to protected area management itself.
PANORAMA allows practitioners to share their stories, get recognized for successful work, and learn how others have tackled problems across the globe, by encouraging reflection on and learning from proven approaches. Solutions are not being seen as fixed, context-specific proof-points, but as toolboxes that can be leveraged, and can inspire success across geographies and themes.
The initial portfolio of protected area solution case studies was launched at the IUCN World Parks Congress in 2014, together with the first prototype of an online platform, with an initial thematic scope on "protected areas" only. The new PANORAMA platform, launched at the IUCN World Conservation Congress in Hawai'i in 2016, places protected area solutions in a larger pool of solutions from different themes relating to conservation for sustainable development, such as marine and coastal solutions promoted through the Blue Solutions initiative, Ecosystem-based Adaptation solutions, and Agriculture and Biodiversity solutions.
The “Solutioning approach”
Solution case studies are being documented using a standard format that identifies replicable key success factors, while also describing the context in which the solution was developed. Solutions are made available online and through publications, and are integrated into capacity development activities and workshops. This learning and innovation methodology is applicable across topics, sectors, and audiences. We have termed this approach of documenting, sharing and supporting the upscaling of solutions “the Solutioning approach”.
PANORAMA is an on-going effort. Do you have a protected area solution to share? Submit your draft directly on the web platform!
PANORAMA Development Partners: