IUCN evaluates all natural sites aspiring to achieve World Heritage status
World Heritage status is one of the highest international recognitions on the planet. As such, every site inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List is carefully selected following a rigorous process. IUCN evaluates all candidate sites nominated to the World Heritage List for their natural values, including sites known as 'mixed' that have both natural and cultural values.
The evaluation of nominations is a year-long process involving IUCN's large network of experts. To ensure the credibility of the World Heritage List, it assesses the global significance, management, and integrity of the nominated sites.
IUCN's evaluations combine field missions, desk reviews and voluntary input by experts with knowledge of the sites or the natural values they represent. All the information collected is reviewed by IUCN's World Heritage Panel to form IUCN's recommendations to the World Heritage Committee.
If you would like to undertake a desk review or provide input for a particular World Heritage site nomination as an expert reviewer, please click here.
A country signs the World Heritage Convention
Proposed nominations for 2019
For the 2018-2017 cycle, IUCN is evaluating the nominations below to make recommendations to the World Heritage Committee, which will take the final decisions at its annual meeting on 30 June-10 July 2019 in Baku, Azerbaijan.
- Albania, Natural and Cultural Heritage of the Ohrid region (extension of Natural and Cultural Heritage of the Ohrid region, the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia) (mixed site)
- Brazil, Paraty Culture and Biodiversity (mixed site)
- China, Migratory Bird Sanctuaries along the Coast of Yellow Sea-Bohai, Gulf of China (Phase I)
- France, Terres et mers australes françaises
- Iceland, Vatnajökull National Park - dynamic nature of fire and ice
- Islamic Republic of Iran, Hyrcanian Forests
- Italy, Sila Forests Ecosystems (new submission following withdrawal by State Party in 2017)
- Monaco-France-Italy, Alpi del Mediterraneo - Alpes de la Méditerranée
- Turkey, Kızılırmak Delta Wetland and Bird Sanctuary