By 2020 the extinction of known threatened species has been prevented and their conservation status, particularly of those most in decline, has been improved and sustained.
What is Friends of Target 12?
Friends of Target 12 is a partnership of organisations and institutions, including IUCN, which work together to support countries to achieve Aichi Biodiversity Target 12.
Aim: to support CBD Parties and others to achieve Aichi Target 12 by providing practical guidance and raise awareness of initiatives and programmes that are needed to stem the tide of species’ extinctions.
Activities of the partnership include, working with CBD and partners to:
- Synthesise and share experience, initiatives, guidelines and recommendations to achieve Target 12
- Promote synergies (at national, regional or global level) between organisations and institutions working on species conservation
- Promote the integration of species action plans, strategies and activities into National Biodiversity Strategies and Action Plans (NBSAPs)
- Identify important issues related to species conservation that might be addressed via CBD or other conventions
- Support the Biodiversity Indicators Partnership (BIP) to develop indicators and methods to monitor progress towards the achievement of Target 12
- Develop shared strategies for collaborative efforts to achieve Target 12, including capacity building and tool development
- Commitments, resources and events that will contribute to the implementation and achievement of Aichi Target 12 are available here.
Friends of Target 12 is supported by the Convention on Biological Diversity.