What is Aichi Biodiversity Target 12?
Aichi Biodiversity Target 12 is one of the 20 Targets the world, through the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) and its Strategic Plan, committed to meet by 2020 to save biodiversity and enhance its benefits for people. Target 12 reads:
By 2020 the extinction of known threatened species has been prevented and their conservation status, particularly of those most in decline, has been improved and sustained.
Target 12 is a critically important and ambitious target which is directly or indirectly linked to all the CBD Targets and is also highly relevant to other biodiversity related Multilateral Environmental Agreements (MEAs). One example of the former is Target 11. Both Target 11 and 12 are at the core of biodiversity conservation. Target 11 calls not only for increasing global protected area coverage, but also to make them ecologically representative, well connected, equitably and efficiently managed, among other important attributes. Protected areas are therefore key to achieve Target 12. Another critically important example, is sustainable use of species which is also needed if we are to achieve Target 12. Well regulated commercial trade may be beneficial to the conservation of species and ecosystems, and to the development of local people when carried out at levels that are not detrimental to the survival of the species in question. Some success stories involving species listed in the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) are vicuña, the markhor, the wild snowdrop plant.
What is Friends of Target 12?
Friends of Target 12 is a partnership of organizations and institutions which bring their forces together to support countries to achieve Aichi Biodiversity Target 12. To see full list of parthers click here.
Aim: to support CBD Parties and others to achieve Aichi Target 12 by providing practical guidance and raising awareness of initiatives and programmes that contribute to the implementation of the activities needed to stem the tide of species’ extinctions
Activities of the partnership, working with the CBD Secretariat and with Parties, may include:
- Synthesise and share experience, initiatives, guidelines and recommendations to enable countries to achieve Target 12
- Promote synergies (at national, regional or global level) between organizations and institutions working on species conservation including governments, NGOs, convention secretariats and business to achieve Target 12
- Promote the integration of species action plans, strategies and activities into National Biodiversity Strategies and Action Plans (NBSAPs)
- Identify important issues related to species conservation that might be addressed via decisions of the CBD or other conventions
- Support the Biodiversity Indicators Partnership (BIP) to develop indicators and methods to monitor progress towards the achievement of Target 12
- Develop shared strategies for collaborative efforts to achieve Target 12 including capacity building and tool development.
Friends of Target 12 is supported by the Convention on Biological Diversity and is the fourth response to the convention's call for Biodiveristy Champions, available here.
- Commitments that will contribute to the implementation and achievement of Aichi Target 12 have been made by Friends of Target 12. These will be tracked and updated and are available here.
- Resources developed by Friends of Target 12 and its partners are available here.
- Events organised or supported by Friends of Taget 12 will be posted here.