The Freshwater Conservation Sub-Committee (FCSC) was established in 2010 in order for the SSC to urgently address the global freshwater biodiversity crisis. The FCSC’s main activities are:
(1) coordination of freshwater species conservation activities through the SSC, to highlight emerging patterns and to ensure that increasing attention is given to issues concerning freshwater biodiversity conservation;
(2) to make recommendations to the SSC based on the work of the FCSC;
(3) to ensure freshwater species conservation issues are aligned within the SSC and the wider IUCN;
(4) to assist the SSC by providing authority and credibility in its engagement with policy processes and major freshwater related events;
(5) to raise the awareness and increase the profile of the freshwater biodiversity crisis.
Co-Chair: Topiltzin Contreras MacBeath
Co-Chair: Ian Harrison
Reports of FCSC meetings and a list of members are posted on the Union Portal accessible to all Portal users.