IMPAC4 is being convened under the theme ‘Marine Protected Areas: Bringing the people and ocean together,’ underscoring the intricate nature of the ocean-human relationship and the benefits of Marine Protected Areas (MPAs) and the ocean, for the many dependent on their ecosystem services. It is bringing together, among others, managers and practitioners of marine conservation to share knowledge, experiences and best practices on issues such as: MPAs and global change, including climate change and ocean acidification; MPAs and coastal communities, including empowerment of women, and development and economic growth; effective, successful management of MPAs, including sustainable development initiatives and finance for MPAs; and, MPAs and shared future visions, including marine spatial planning and youth-led collaborative action.
The high-level meeting brought together global decision makers, environment ministers and others to link the Valparaiso Declaration with Aichi Biodiversity Target 11 (By 2020, at least 17% of terrestrial and inland water, and 10% of coastal and marine areas, especially areas of particular importance for biodiversity and ecosystem services, are conserved through effectively and equitably managed, ecologically representative and well connected systems of protected areas and other effective area-based conservation measures, and integrated into the wider landscapes and seascapes) and Sustainable Development Goal 14 (Life below water). ¹
- Watch the trailer of the film on Seamounts: 'The Last Frontier' (espanol, francais). The film will be screened on Thursday 7 September.
- OCEAN Pavilion programme
- IUCN Green List events, and the Blue Solutions events
- BIOPAMA related events
- BEST Regional Seas/ EU Overseas/ Islands Events
- Big Ocean and IUCN WCPA launch the Large-Scale Marine Protected Areas, Best Practice Protected Area Guidance No.26.
- Global shift in marine protected area analysis and reporting (article), and Explore the world's Marine Protected Areas on Protected Planet
- Contribution of the Convention on Biological Diversity to Marine Protected Areas: statistics, key messages, examples.
- Keobel Sakuma from Palau wins the Kenton Miller Award
IUCN Issues briefs
- Oceans and climate change : Marine Protected Areas - supporting ecosystem-based climate change adaptation and mitigation (July 2017)
- Marine Plastics (June 2017)
- Ocean Warming (June 2017)
Latest on IMPAC4
- IMPAC4: Bringing people and the ocean together: a call for action (29 September 2017)
- World gears up to boost ocean protection as global congress opens in Chile, IUCN (4 September 2017)
- Visit the official IMPAC4 website
- Visit the IISD reporting page with images of the congress
Follow us on social media
- Follow us on the IUCN Protected Areas Facebook page
- Follow us on the IUCN Protected Areas Twitter account
¹ IISD Reporting Services