Project title: Pakistan Centers for Advanced Studies in Energy (PCASE)
Location: National University of Science and Technology (NUST) Islamabad and University of Engineering and Technology (UET) Peshawar (Khyber Pakhtunkhwa)
Duration: 2014 – 2019
Project background: The need for creating applied research centres in the Energy sector in Pakistan has long been felt. This has been necessitated ever since the worldwide rampant energy crisis has arisen in the backdrop of the critical role played by the energy sector in the industrial and economic development. Such a centre will be dedicated to exploiting indigenous resources and developing technologies and policy guidelines leading to availability of inexpensive energy to the people of Pakistan. The Centre is proposed to enjoy working relationship with the local energy industry and will strive to collaborate with overseas industries by getting sponsorships of research projects. United States Agency for International Development (USAID) has approved, under its Grant-in-Aid Programme, establishment of two centres for advanced studies in Pakistan one at National University of Science and Technology (NUST), Islamabad and University of Engineering and Technology (UET), Peshawar.
Objectives of the project:
The Arizona State University (ASU) has been given the principal award for establishing the two centres. On its part, ASU has given a sub-award to IUCN identifying the following roles:
- Act as hosting organization for all ASU staff including senior managerial staff by providing logistic support when they visit Pakistan.
- Assist the ASU local staff in organizing agenda, meeting/event venues, and procuring goods and services as needed to support meetings and events.
- Provide local operational support for ASU Pakistan Team.
- Support local office setup by procuring office space, office furniture, office equipment, communication services, and office supplies.
- Hire local staff, as needed.
- Support M&E activities by contracting M&E Specialist selected by ASU.
- Support the activities of ASU’s Communications Specialist by procuring the branded goods and services.
- Provide media services for photography, videography, event management, graphic design, and media management.
- All services and goods procured in Pakistan.
Donor: Arizona State University
Work area: Energy