IUCN Lao PDR held a Law Enforcement and Patrolling workshop at District Office of Natural Resources and Environment (DONRE), Nakai district, Khammouane Province, Lao PDR on 28 April to 2 May 2013.
As part of that project, the formation of the village patrolling and law enforcement team was necessary to monitor and record the threats to the biodiversity in each community, the core zone in particular. The village participatory patrolling and law enforcement team had to make sure that they used the standardized methods to tackle with the problems threatening to the biodiversity in the core zone and their village controlled used areas, as well as the PHP Protected Areas. Therefore, in order to response to achieve the fourth output of the project, the village patrolling and enforcement team had to be formed and provided a standardized training to ensure them with an appropriate systematic data collection and recording techniques.
The provision of the enforcement training to the village patrolling and enforcement team was to strengthen them in building capacity related to patrolling and enforcement technical supports in protection of biodiversity. Therefore, the village participatory patrolling and enforcement team was held in Nakai district to train village patrolling and enforcement team from four villages including; Ban Songyangkao, Kouan, Vanghin and Kouan Sam (Thong Mouang Louang Village cluster zone).
The objective of this workshop was to:
1. Form the village participatory patrolling and enforcement team
2. Provide training for village patrolling and enforcement team members on theories regarding
- basic principle of conservation and its importance;
- communication with community
- principle on the NPA management
- principle on patrolling and law enforcement
- building the report network
- basic knowledge on how to read maps
- how to use compass
- basic knowledge on how to use GPS
- practical activities in using map, compass and GPS in the field
- how to record the patrolling data forms
- practice recording and filling out patrolling data forms
3. Discuss plan on how to implement the patrolling and enforcement activities in the core zone areas of Ban Songyangkeo, Kouan, Vanghin and Kouan sam.
4. Discuss with PONRE staff to collect the nomination letters from each village authority in the Natan village cluster area related to the recruitment of the villagers to be included in the village patrolling and law enforcement team.
By Souvanny OUNMANY