promotes inspiring, replicable solutions across a range of conservation and development topics and makes them available to anyone looking to improve the impact of their conservation and sustainable development efforts. The PANORAMA web platform features more than 500 well-curated case studies from around the world. It is complemented by a range of mechanisms and tools, including peer exchange events and communication products.
replicable success factors
3 minutes video explainer
PANORAMA uses a modular case study format that identifies replicable key success factors (“building blocks”) when documenting solution case studies and describing the context in which the solution was developed. This learning and innovation methodology relies on peer-to-peer exchange and is applicable across topics, sectors, and audiences. All PANORAMA solutions adhere to defined quality standards and are peer-reviewed by subject matter experts before publication.
To help users find the most relevant solutions for their situations, PANORAMA groups its solutions by key topics relevant to improving conservation in today’s world. Full case studies ("solutions") and key success factors (“building blocks”) are searchable by thematic community, and users can also filter by region, ecosystem, theme and filters specific to each community.
- Representatives of conservation and development NGOs
- Multilateral organizations
- Government agencies
- Academia, private sector and institutions
- Local and regional conservation actors
- Conservation practitioners, planners and advocates
- Policy makers, donor agencies and programme developers
- Businesses and investors
- Academic institutions
Putting PANORAMA to use
- PANORAMA helps conservation practitioners, planners and managers learn from peers facing similar challenges to inform their day-to-day work.
- Policy makers, donors and programme developers use PANORAMA to understand current trends and good practice, inform design of new initiatives and achieve visibility and validation for their investments.
- Advocates use solutions from PANORAMA to provide real-life, positive alternatives to support their positions.
- Businesses and investors use PANORAMA to inform responsible investment and CSR strategies.
- For academic researchers, PANORAMA offers a database of curated case studies with field-tested insights into determinants of success in conservation and development.
- Journalists use PANORAMA as a source of inspiring success stories.
Visit the PANORAMA web platform to explore the continuously growing solutions case study portfolio.
Submit your own solution (in English, French or Spanish) directly on the platform.
Sign up to receive PANORAMA updates, such as the bi-annual newsletter and webinar announcements.
► Contact us if your institution would like to explore collaboration.
PANORAMA is a joint initiative of seven leading conservation and development organizations: Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit GmbH (GIZ), International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN), UN Environment, GRID-Arendal, Rare, IFOAM - Organics International and United Nations Development Programme (UNDP). Each organisation hosts or co-hosts one or multiple thematic communities. The initiative is actively expanding with new institutions and new thematic communities. Financial support is provided by the German Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation, and Nuclear Safety (BMU) and the Global Environment Facility (GEF).
Learn more about PANORAMA’s origins and the partnership
Since its launch at the IUCN World Parks Congress 2014, PANORAMA has grown into a multi-thematic, multi-partner initiative in which IUCN plays a lead role. IUCN coordinates two of PANORAMA’s thematic communities: Protected Areas (with UNDP) and Business Engagement. The PANORAMA secretariat is comprised of staff from IUCN and GIZ.
Learn more about IUCN’s work on protected area solutions under PANORAMA
The PANORAMA web platform is a powerful resource for capacity building and scaling up successful conservation in all parts of the world. In addition to the platform, PANORAMA produces publications, webinars and other content to provide additional guidance.