The IUCN Species Survival Commission (SSC) is an exceptional network of experts who make their time and considerable talents available through its Specialist Groups and Task Forces. Realising that the voluntary contributions of these experts often pass with little formal notice, the SSC has established an awards system to more publicly recognise and celebrate the extraordinary contributions of its membership.
Nominations are approved by the SSC Chair and Steering Committee.
There are four SSC Awards
- The Sir Peter Scott Award for Conservation Merit
- The George Rabb Award for Conservation Innovation
- The Harry Messel Award for Conservation Leadership
- SSC Chair's Citation of Excellence
The SSC Distinguished Service Members
The Commission Chair may appoint individuals as Distinguished Service Members in recognition of significant service to the Species Survival Commission. Distinguished Services Members are automatically re-appointed in each quadrennium.
Distinguished Service Members include:
- Former active Specialist Group, Task Force Working Group Chairs, and Red List Authority Focal Points
- Former active Steering Committee or Sub-Committee members
- Long-serving and particularly active Specialist Group, Task Force, Working Group and Red List Authority members
- Outstanding staff in the Species Programme, SSC Chair’s Office and Specialist Groups
SSC Roll of Honour
The Steering Committee may appoint to the SSC Roll of Honour a small number of highly distinguished people who have played critical roles in the history of the Commission. This honour may be awarded posthumously, and the names of members of the Roll are retained after they have deceased.