The IUCN WCEL Forests Specialist Group of the IUCN Commission on Environmental Law leads collaboration around the world to build robust legal and policy measures that address challenges to global forest integrity.
IUCN WCEL Forests Specialist Group
- Develop and strengthen legal protection of forests at national, regional, and international levels
- Foster collaboration among legal and interdisciplinary experts to exchange information, produce position papers and policy reports, and report on important meetings to advance the environmental rule of law for sustainable forest stewardship and the conservation of nature
- Provide legal input and influence IUCN activities concerning all aspects related to forests
- Implement the MoU with the Secretariat of the UN Forum on Forests to investigate, prepare, and disseminate best-practices for legal systems, including preparation of a "Model Forest Act" to inform drafting and updating forest legislation globally
- Monitor and contribute to international negotiations with relevance to forests, including the UN Forum on Forests, the International Tropical Timber Agreement, the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change, the Convention on Biological Diversity, and the Convention on Migratory Species