Project Title: Mainstreaming Gender in the National Biodiversity Strategies and Action Plan Implementation and Monitoring, aligned with the SDGs
Location: Vientiane, Lao PDR
Project Background: As women bear the main responsibility for household operations, food production, and collection of essential resources including water, fuel and fodder, women’s perspectives and needs have to be included equally in decision-making processes. It is therefore critical to address gender considerations, in order to advance sustainable biodiversity policies.
This project aims to establish a gender-responsive National Biodiversity Strategy and Action Plan (NBSAP) through targeted technical support, and to promote regional sharing of lessons learned and experiences at the ASEAN level. The proposed work will reflect the need to ensure links between Conventions, NBSAPs and the SDGs.
Lao PDR has been selected to generate lessons learned and share experiences in mainstreaming gender in the implementation and monitoring of NBSAPs, as a result of two primary considerations:
• As a follow up to previous UN Environment and IUCN support in 2016 that resulted in gender-responsive activities as part of Action Plans on Synergies, and
• Because Lao PDR found this work important and would like to build on current initiatives and further strengthen capacity for gender responsive NBSAP implementation.
Objectives of Project: The overall objective of the project is Gender responsive NBSAP implementation and monitoring.
• Develop national capacity to mainstream gender and biodiversity among key institutions responsible for NBSAP and SDG implementation and monitoring and gender focal points. Increase capacity of these institutions to lead in addressing gender in NBSAP implementation and monitoring efforts that are aligned with SDGs.
• Gender-responsive implementation and monitoring of NBSAP integrated into planning and institutions.
• Develop gendered indicators to achieve NBSAP outcomes.
Partners: UN Environment, UN Women, CBD Secretariat, ASEAN Centre for Biodiversity, Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment