IUCN CEESP/WCEL Indigenous Peoples and Environmental Law Joint Specialist Group focuses on deepening awareness, providing analysis, and offering recommendations for conservation that takes into account indigenous peoples’ distinct human rights as it relates to their environment, lands, territories, and natural resources.
- Deepening awareness of indigenous peoples' environmental and human rights
- Contributing to the development and implementation of improved conservation policies based on the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples
- Linking existing IUCN commitments and mandates to ensure concrete recommendations for a rights-based approach with specific emphasis on indigenous peoples' rights within conservation.
- Providing new analysis on indigenous rights and environmental law, especially related to local experiences and thematic issues
- Responding to evolving “flashpoints” concerning indigenous peoples and conservation