Currently, local and regional authorities rely on the expertise of the IUCN to implement the Aichi targets. This workshop will discuss how these local and sub-national authorities can better incorporate the expertise of the IUCN Secretariat, IUCN members, national and regional committees and experts.
- DATE: 11 Sep 2012
- TIME: 11:00 - 13:00
- ROOM: A - 401
The partnership between IUCN France and sub-national governments to develop a regional strategy for biodiversity and ecosystem services, LAB of ICLEI will serve as a focal point of discussions exploring the following questions:
- What is the best way for IUCN to assist local and regional authorities?
- What are some gaps currently preventing local authorities from reaching the Aichi targets?
- How can the needs of Local authorities be better met and identified?
- How can key elements of an exchange platform between local and regional authorities and IUCN be indentified?
This workshop will look at synergies between existing networks of local authorities and discuss the implementation of a Plan of Action on sub-national governments, cities, and other local authorities for biodiversity.
Partners and supporters:
- Urban Specialist Group of the World Commission on Protected Areas
- Conseils Régionaux de France, Île de France, Aquitaine Centre, PACA et Association des Régions de France (ARF) and the government of Catalunya
- IUCN Europe
- The Secretariat of the Convention on Biological Diversity (SCBD)
- Cities Biodiversity Center - Local Governments for Sustainability (ICLEI)
- Network of regional government for sustainable development (nrg4sD)
- Spanish Committee of IUCN
This workshop is organized by the IUCN French Committee.