Post Title : Programme Officer in charge of the «Integrated Management Support» Component and Capacity Building
Type of Contract : Renewable fixed term contract of 18 months,
Grade : P2 according to the IUCN Classification System
Duty Station : Nouakchott, Mauritania or Dakar, Senegal
The Regional Coastal and Marine Conservation Programme for West Africa (PRCM) is a joint initiative of the International Union for the Conservation of Nature (IUCN), the International Foundation of Banc d’Arguin (FIBA), the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF), and Wetlands International (WI), in partnership with the Sub-regional Fisheries Commission (CRSP). Today, the PRCM is a coalition of over 50 institutional partners that seeks to co-ordinate efforts to preserve the littoral of countries in the sub-region, i.e. Cape Verde, the Gambia, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Mauritania, Senegal, and Sierra Leone. Attached to IUCN Regional Programme for Central and West Africa, the PRCM Co-ordination Unit is based in Nouakchott within the premises of the IUCN Mauritania Office.
IUCN is one of the world’s leaders in developing knowledge and yielding insight into effective actions required for conservation. IUCN brings together states, governmental agencies and non-governmental organisations, and about ten thousand scientists and experts from 181 countries, into a single global partnership that provides a neutral forum for dialogue on environmental and sustainable development issues. Its mission is to “influence, encourage, and assist societies throughout the world to conserve the integrity and diversity of nature and to ensure any use of natural resources is equitable and ecologically sustainable”.
Mandate of the Programme Officer :
The IUCN is recruiting a suitably qualified candidate in the post of Programme Officer. Under the supervision of the Co-ordination Unit Director, the incumbent ensures the implementation of the “Integrated Management Support” Component, co-ordinates the crosscutting strand on “Urgent Actions, Advocacy and Capacity Building for Civil Society”, and supports the Programme’s development.
I. Implementation of the « Integrated Management Process » Component
In leading the Component, the Programme Officer will perform the following duties:
- co-ordinating the implementation of the Component (by organising meetings, drafting annual action plans and technical reports, supporting M&E activities, …);
- providing advisory support to promoters of the Component’s projects and to other divisions of the Co-ordination Unit (such as advising on project reports, supporting project review processes, participating in co-ordination meetings and discussion fora, etc.);
- identifying and developing intra and inter-Component synergies, and enhancing the impacts thereof;
II. Co-ordination of the PRCM crosscutting strand on « Urgent Actions, Advocacy and Capacity Building» and support to PRCM development
- implementing activities under the PRCM’s crosscutting strand on «Urgent Actions, Advocacy and Capacity Building », and monitoring the management of resources allocated to that end ;
- managing the process of calls for project proposals under the Small Grants programme, establishing contracts with beneficiary organisations, and monitoring selected projects;
- processing and tracking applications for support to advocacy activities and urgent actions;
- running the PRCM Scientific and Technical Committee (this includes collecting and pre-reviewing project concepts, preparing and providing secretarial services to the Committee’s meetings, and monitoring its recommendations…);
- contributing to outreach and co-ordination activities as well as to PRCM development.
The ideal candidate should meet the following :
- higher education diploma (Masters’ level or beyond) in an area related to coastal and marine integrated management;
- minimum of eight years of relevant experience in projects/programme management;
- very good skills in written or oral communication;
- sound ability to summarise and excellent capacity to report on complex technical issues;
- very good interpersonal qualities;
- strong command of French and English as the two working languages (bilingualism is a must) ; knowledge of Portuguese or Arabic would be an advantage ;
- highly computer-literate (Excel, Word, …);
- familiarity with the international and multicultural contexts;
- ability to work without supervision and good teamwork skills;
- great availability and fitness to travel frequently within West Africa and to other parts of the world.
Interested candidates with the required qualifications are invited to send in their CVs along with a letter of motivation. Such letter should clearly address the above requirements and essential skills in the order in which they have been described. Candidates must necessarily provide the full names and addresses of three references, including a recent employer.
Applications must be received not later than 18th March 2010 at 05:00 pm, preferably by email, at the following address:
Regional Human Resources Manager
UICN – PACO, 01 BP 1618 Ouagadougou 01, Burkina Faso
Tel. (+226) 50 32 85 00; Fax (++226) 50 30 75 61;