As a partner to the Convention since 2011, IUCN supports progress towards policies and programmes that deliver Land Degradation Neutrality (LDN) through the application of nature-based solutions (NbS) – actions to protect, sustainably manage and restore ecosystems to address societal challenges.
IUCN believes that "equitable and environmentally sound attainment of LDN requires investment in all types of land and land use", and urges Parties to:
- [...] adopt the revised Strategic Framework of the convention and to mobilize greater action to deliver LDN by 2030.
- [...] build on the clearly established synergy between the Convention and the sister Rio Conventions in order to achieve greater impact through integrated approaches and the multifunctional use of land."
>> Read IUCN's key messages for UNCCD COP13 in full.
Events that IUCN organises, co-hosts or participates in at COP13:
- The Great Green Wall for the Sahara and the Sahel Initiative: Key results and Perspective
[preliminary schedule: 08 September, 8:00 to 10:00, in MET-06]. Event organised by the African Union.
- Integrated approaches for multifunctional landscapes: connecting LDN, biodiversity and climate change.
[09 September, 13:00 to 15:00, in MET-16]
- Monitoring the impacts of SLM actions, sharing best practices and creating a strong community to implement the GGWISS vision. Event hosted by the Comité permanent Inter-Etats de Lutte contre la Sécheresse dans le Sahel (CILSS).
[13 September, 13:00 to 15:00, in MET-06]
- Landscape Restoration Day .
[14 September, at the Rio Conventions Pavilion]
- Commission Communication and knowledge management as drivers of a culture of change in SLM initiatives
[preliminary schedule: 14 September, 13:00 to 15:00, in MET-05]. Event organised by the African Union.
The United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD) is the only legally binding international agreement linking environment and development to sustainable land management, with its main focus on arid, semi-arid and dry sub-humid areas, known as drylands.
At COP13, the Parties will decide on the Strategic Framework that will guide action under the Convention from 2018 to 2030.