2nd session of the Intergovernmental Negotiating Committee (INC-2) to develop an international legally binding instrument on plastic pollution
The second session of the Intergovernmental Negotiating Committee to develop an international legally binding instrument on plastic pollution, including in the marine environment, will tentatively take place in Paris, France from 29 May to 2 June.
IUCN put forth a position paper for the first INC meeting but holds these views.
- Guided by IUCN Resolutions adopted by IUCN Members in 2021 IUCN strongly welcomes the ongoing process for a global Plastics Treaty and supports the partnerships in place in order to eliminate and remediate plastic pollution and enhance circular plastic management at local, regional, and global levels.
- IUCN urges Parties to adopt clear, preferably numerical and verifiable objectives in order to take priority action by 2025 to prevent further plastic pollution from single-use plastic products in protected areas and in the land, water and marine environment.
- IUCN strongly encourages Parties to start negotiations with the ultimate goal of stopping plastic pollution worldwide by 2030 (Zero Pollution) in sight, while considering national and local circumstances and capabilities for implementation along the whole plastics value chain.
- IUCN calls for inclusiveness in the process and an effective treaty as an outcome. The Treaty must address the full life cycle, embrace bold, new, science-based tools, cover a broad scope of environmental resources (land, water, ocean) and create a set of policy measures and means of implementation to upscale and redirect finance, incentives, and trade. Strong stakeholder involvement in the upcoming negotiations and in implementation is therefore key.
- IUCN stands ready to support this process. The Union is well equipped to play a leading role in shaping critical coalitions, bring scientific knowledge and technical expertise to contribute throughout the INC process. IUCN also offers the tools to guide, monitor, and measure action including the IUCN Global Standard for Nature-based Solutions.
More information is on the UNEP INC-2 page: https://www.unep.org/events/conference/second-session-intergovernmental-negotiating-committee-develop-international
For materials and briefings for negotiators, please review the submission of IUCN:
On the UNEP page under "Pre-session Submissions" (direct link)
On the IUCN website
Link to IUCN's Plastic and Other Pollution page
Link to IUCN's International Policy Centre page for INC