USAID/Southern Africa, in collaboration with the Development Grants Program (DGP) has awarded USD 2 million to IUCN to support the three-year project 'A Water Secure Future for Southern Africa: Applying the Ecosystem Approach in the Orange-Senqu Basin'.
Working with local NGOs based in the four basin countries of Lesotho, South Africa, Botswana and Namibia, USAID will support scientific analysis and pilot programmes that balance ecosystem requirements with human development needs to ensure efficient and lasting water provisioning services in priority areas in the basin.
Awareness raising and capacity building activities for ORASECOM (Orange Senqu River Basin Commission) and other key stakeholders will also be supported to enhance an integrated water management approach.
Complementary activities in the Basin will be supported by the EU and GEF.
More than 60% of the 1 million km2 basin is in South Africa, whilst the other 40% is shared between Namibia, Botswana and Lesotho. The basin provides critical water for mining and manufacturing industries, agriculture, energy, tourism, residential services, and conservation.
For more information, please contact: email@example.com