IUCN invites you to the seminar:
"The UN Watercourses Convention : Legacy, Prospects and Value for the Realization of International Policy Goals"
- Welcome by Chair: Dr. Anders Jägerskog, Stockholm International Water Institute ( SIWI )
- Introduction: Mr. James P. Leape, Director General, WWF International
- Advancing the MDGs and The UN Watercourses Convention: with HRH the Prince of Orange; Chair, UN Secretary-General‚ Advisory Board on Water and Sanitation; and Mr. Attila Tanzi, Professor, University of Bologna, Italy
- Asesing the Relevance of the UN Watercourses Convention for Advancing International Policy Objectives on Environment and Development: Guy Howard, Water and Environment Advisor, Department for International Development (DFID), UK; David Coates, Programme Officer, Secretariat, Convention on Biological Diversity, Canada; Anton Earle, Project Director, Capacity Building, Stockholm International Water Institute (SIWI), Sweden; Dr. Ashok Swain, Director, The Swedish Network of Peace, Conflict and Development Research, Sweden; Debate & Questions moderated by Dr. Bertrand Charrier, Vice-President, Green Cross International
- The Status of the UN Watercourses Convention and the Case for Entry into Force: Global Relevance and Regional Applicability: with Mr. Attila Tanzi, Professor, University of Bologna, Italy; Dr. Alexander Lopez Ramirez, Director, Centro Mesoamericano de Desarrollo Sostenible del Trópico Seco (CEMEDE); Professor of International Relations at the Universidad Nacional de Costa Rica (UNA); Dr. Patricia Wouters, Director, UNESCO Centre for Water Law, Policy and Science, University of Dundee, Scotland; Mr. Johan Lammers, Professor of International Environmental Law, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands; Debate & Questions moderated by Flavia Rocha Loures, Freshwater Programme Officer, International Law & Policy, WWF International; and Closing remarks by Chair Anders Jägerskog, Stockholm International Water Institute (SIWI)
In addtion to the High-Level Lunch Side Event Panel :
"The Challenge of Improved Global Freshwater Governance & The UN Watercourses Convention"
Tuesday, 19 August 2008, 12:00 - 13:30 (Room K11, lunch will be served)
- Welcome by Chair: Lasse Gustavsson, Secretary General, WWF Sweden
- Keynote speech: Managing water across boundaries : lessons to support governance reform
in transboundary basins: Dr. Alejandro Iza, Head of the Environmental Law Centre, The International Union for Conservation of Nature ( IUCN )
- High-Level Debate: with Moderator Mr. Jean-François Donzier, Secretary General, Permanent Technical Secretariat, International Network of Basin Organizations (INBO); Honorable Mrs. Maureen Ballestero, Vice-President of the National Legislative Assembly, President of the Permanent Special Commission of Environment, Costa Rica; Honorable Christopher Addae, Deputy Minister, Ministry of Water Resources, Works and Housing, Ghana; Dr. Mats Hårsmar, Chief Analyst, Division for Development Policy, Ministry for Foreign Affairs, Swede; and Mr. Rajendra Kishore Kshatri, Acting secretary, Water and Energy Commission Secretariat (WECS), Government of Nepal
For more information, please contact: