The IUCN project “Sustainable Development Models for Local Communities of Protected Areas in the North-West of Russia” is intended to improve cooperation of protected areas in the Russian North West with communities and other stakeholders to promote sustainable rural development in this part of Russia.
This is to be achieved through development of alternative livelihoods and additional income generation opportunities (jobs) for communities living in PA hotspots with the intent to decrease poaching, illegal logging and other unsustainable practices of natural resource use. The proposed project will develop a sustainable model for ecologically and economically sound market opportunities for communities living on or near PAs that can be implemented in the future for other protected areas in other regions of Russia.
The project will assist stakeholders to develop PA-oriented small community-based traditional business support programsprojects. The project will achieve improved cooperation among local stakeholders. Local stakeholders will be empowered by knowledge and ability to support effective use of their traditional knowledge for local economical development, compatible with PAs’ conservation objectives. The project will develop additional employment in the most vulnerable and fragile areas of the Russian North-West, contributing to sustainable rural development of the region.
- The social analytical review will be developed and used to identify target groups and individuals (local change agents) and their needs and opportunities for trainings and assistance and for shaping training programs and programs of technical assistance.
- The legal analysis for compliance of small business development, based on sustainable use of forest products and traditional skills to the new Forest Code and other related legislation will be developed and shared with stakeholders. Effects of the new Forest Code on the grass-root level will be analyzed and reported to stakeholders. If necessary, recommendations are provided to relevant authorities for adjustment of regional legislation on management of forest resources.
- A self-sustaining Forest Community Sustainable Development Center for assistance in sustainable use of natural resources is established on the basis of a pilot PA and works for all members of Association of Zapovedniks and National Parks of the Russian North-West.
- New income sources are developed in pilot communities.
- A sustainability monitoring program is developed and implemented by the Association for vulnerable resources to ensure sustainability of harvest. Criteria for sustainability are developed and relevant recommendations to harvesters, business people and natural resource managers are developed and shared with interested stakeholders.
- A small renewable energy system and a small mobile saw are tested and its economical viability will be analyzed. The analysis of economic viability and a report on practical usage of the equipment under conditions of a PA will be presented at the meeting of the Association of Zapovedniks and National Parks of the North-West with participation of representatives of municipal authorities.
- The final publication on various aspects of sustainable development on local level will be prepared and spread. 2 meetings of Association of Zapovedniks and National Parks of the Russian North-West will be supported by the project to share the results of its pilot stage to 30 members of the Association with involvement of several representatives of municipalities. The project website will be developed, several articles published in local and regional press.
Timeline: January 2008 – December 2008
Donor: Ford Foundation
Contact person: Vladimir Moshkalo