We have the pleasure of inviting you to an interdisciplinary panel discussion:
Sea & Air: Traversing the Ocean-Climate Divide in International Law and Policy
The event is organised jointly by the Institute for Advanced Sustainability Studies (IASS, Potsdam) and the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) in partnership with European Maritime Week, 'Das Meer – Unser Blaues Wunder'.
It will take place during the Climate Engineering Conference 2014 (ce-conference.org):
Wednesday, 20th August
18:30 - 20:00
Scandic Hotel, Room TBC
Potsdamer Platz, Berlin, Germany
The global ocean is at the front line of climate change. The ocean – through its absorptive and buffering capacities – has played a key role in reducing the impacts of growing carbon dioxide emissions largely from land. Yet these benefits come at a high cost to the marine environment in the face of the ‘deadly trio’ of ocean acidification, warming, and deoxygenation.
While scientists understand that the climate and the oceans function as an integrated system, international law and policies for the protection of the marine environment and atmosphere are fragmented and uncoordinated.
What actions and instruments will catalyse changes that are urgently needed to address this gap in global governance and bring about the recovery of our seas and oceans? How can global cooperation be enhanced?
- Kristina Gjerde – Senior High Seas Advisor, IUCN Global Marine and Polar Programme
- Torsten Thiele (TBC) – Advanced Leadership Fellow in Oceans Governance, Harvard University
- Daniel Bodansky – Lincoln Professor of Law, Ethics and Sustainability, Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law, Arizona State University, United States
- Rosemary Rayfuse – Professor of International Law, Faculty of Law, University of New South Wales, Australia
- Karen Scott – Professor of Law, School of Law, University of Canterbury, New Zealand
- Hans-Otto Pörtner – Ocean Warming and Acidification Research Programme, Alfred Wegener Institute for Polar and Marine Research, Germany
- Jean-Pierre Gattuso – CRNS Research Professor, Laboratoire d'océanographie de Villefranche and Université Pierre et Marie Curie (Paris VI), France