The tourism business plays a major role in sustaining the global network of protected areas. At the same time, half of all international travellers visit a protected area during their trip. However, the advocates of natural spaces often are concerned about the potential impacts of unsustainable tourism - but when done right, tourism and conservation can greatly benefit from each other.
Presenters from a range of countries introduced their Panorama case studies in the webinars, explaining what made them successful and discussed with the audience. The webinars were co-hosted by the IUCN Global Protected Areas Programme and the WCPA Tourism Specialist Group.
Solutions and presenters:
Session 1: 31 March 2016 (access recording)
- "Responsible Marine and Coastal Tourism Business Cluster Development"
- "Community stewardship for conservation in Western Arunachal Landscape,India"
- "The impact of ecotourism on changing perceptions about a PA"
Session 2: 7th April 2016 (access recording)
- "Making protected area concessions work for communities"
- "Profiting from eco-tourism in Cambodia"