Foreign Correspondents' Club of Thailand (FCCT)
7pm to 9pm, Tuesday November 27, 2012
The "Mekong" examines the issues of hydropower development and its impact on Mekong citizen's lives. It features stories of Mekong Citizen's up and down the river, from fishers on the Tonle Sap, activists still fighting at the Pak Mun dam in Thailand, to a vice minister from Laos convinced he can build the region's most "river-transparent" dam. Filmed in four countries, and four languages, it includes footage of China's Mekong [Lancang] dams, as well as on-site footage of the controversial Xayaburi dam in Laos.
The film is directed and produced by Douglas Varchol and funded by CGIAR Challenge Program for Water and Food, IUCN's Mekong Water Dialogues and the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida).
"This compelling, fast paced yet lyrical film, does a brilliant job of exploring the tension and dilemmas of hard choices and often bitter ironies, surrounding one of Asia's greatest rivers as it stands on the brink of dramatic changes which will affect the entire river basin and the millions of lives that depend on it." - Nirmal Ghosh, Senior Correspondent, The Straits Times
Opening Remark: Mr. Andreas Magnusson, Political Officer, Embassy of Sweden, Bangkok
1. Dr. Robert Mather, Head of Southeast Asia Group, IUCN
2. Dr. Lilao Bouapao, Director, M-POWER
3. Dr. Daovong Phonekeo, Director General, Department of Energy Policy and Planning, Ministry of Energy and Mines, Lao PDR
4. Ms. Sompong Viengchan, Pak Mun villager's leader, Ubon Ratchathani, Thailand
5. Mr. Witoon Permpongsacharoen, Director, Mekong Energy and Ecology Network
6. Mr. Chanh Sokheng, Inland Fisheries Institute, Fishery Administration, Cambodia
7. Dr. Nguyen Huu Thien, Ecologist, Viet Nam
Facilitator: Nirmal Ghosh, Senior Correspondent, The Straits Times
For more information, please contact:
Dararat Weerapong, Senior Communications Officer, Southeast Asia Group, IUCN.
Mobile: +66 (0) 895178543, Email: dararat.WEERAPONG@iuc...
Michael Victor, CPWF Communication Coordinator, Mobile: +94773950713, Email: email@example.com