Mangroves for the Future (MFF) is pleased to announce a Call for Applications for its Small Grant Facility (SGF) in the coastal provinces of Viet Nam. MFF is a partnership-led initiative chaired by IUCN and UNDP to promote investment in coastal ecosystem conservation for sustainable development. MFF recognizes that empowering civil society, enhancing governance and diversifying livelihood opportunities are effective means of supporting human well-being and of building resilience of both natural ecosystems and coastal communities.
Based on MFF’s guiding principle that all SGF projects be partnership-based, all projects should have two or more partners and preferably the partnership should involve partners from different sectors of society: e.g. an NGO or CBO with a government department, university, research institute or private company. MFF Viet Nam is particularly interested in supporting projects that include businesses. The roles and responsibilities of each partner should be explained clearly in the application. Projects should also ensure the participation of both men and women and other disadvantaged groups, at least at a demonstration scale.
Deadline of submitting applications: Friday, February 14, 2014, 17:00
Maximum grant amount: Applicants can apply for grants of up to USD 20,000.
Project duration: Up to 12 months
Geographic focus: Quang Ninh, Hai Phong, Nam Dinh, Thai Binh, Ninh Binh, Quang Nam, Can Gio-Ho Chi Minh City, Kien Giang, and Ca Mau Provinces.
This Call targets the following themes:
1. Improve mangrove-based aquaculture and climate resilient livelihoods of coastal communities;
2. Promote integrated watershed management in the Vu Gia-Thu Bon River Basin;
3. Enhance ecological rehabilitation of coastal ecosystems;
4. Strengthen management of coastal and marine and protected areas;
5. Test methods and approaches at community level that can contribute to government policies and programs on coastal ecosystem management;
6. Strengthen local community participation in decision-making and management of coastal ecosystems;
7. Replicate and scale up existing project interventions with demonstrated success.
Applications can be submitted by national/local NGOs, CBOs, academic and research institutes, small-scale businesses and management boards that meet the following criteria:
- Are registered, preferably for at least three years;
- Have demonstrated working experience in the proposed project sites (locally based organization are preferable);
- Have a proven or strong potential capacity to implement participatory and community-based projects;
- Have demonstrable experience in project management and financial administration;
- Must successfully complete a Due Diligence check undertaken by the MFF Secretariat;
- Are expected to provide co-financing from themselves or from partners in the form of either cash or in-kind contributions, equivalent to at least 5% of the total value of the project.
Applicants should submit a project concept note (Annex 1) in Vietnamese or English. Please refer to http://mangrovesforthefuture.org/grants and http://www.iucn.org/vietnam for more information. Short-listed applicants will be invited to submit a full proposal. Please note that an invitation to submit a full proposal is not a guarantee that it will be financially supported by MFF. Applicants should send concept notes to: IUCN Viet Nam, 2A Building, Van Phuc Diplomatic Compound, 298 Kim Ma, Ba Dinh, Hanoi, email: email@example.com.