Race for the Baltic is a multi stakeholder campaign initiated by Zennström Philanthropies in cooperation with more than fifty businesses, local governments, thought leaders, universities and non-governmental organizations dedicated to saving the Baltic Sea. To create public awareness Race for the Baltic will be launching a 3 month, 9 country, 3500 km cycling tour, kicking off in Malmö, Sweden 8 June 2013.
The aim of the campaign is to highlight the threatened environmental health in the Baltic Sea, one of the most polluted seas in the world. The goal is to create awareness about the current situation but also to influence politicians to act before time runs out.
Along the way the campaign will:
- Invite the public and organizations to join the team to cycle all or part of The Race
- Organize events for local communities
- Collect signatures calling for politicians to take action
- Bring together businesses to explore how they can be part of the solution.
The campaign has three main asks: Recover - Restore – Revive
- Revive - Reduce the amount of agricultural run-off into the Baltic Sea
- Recover - Ensure scientific advice is followed when fishing limits are set and enforced
- Restore - Designate 30% of the Baltic Sea as Marine Protected Areas.
Join and find out more at raceforthebaltic.com.