At the Global Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction in Geneva, Switzerland 8 to 13 May 2011, IUCN will be calling for policies to strengthen the resilience of communities to cope with disasters through effective management of natural resources.
At the Global Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction, IUCN will be involved in the following events:
• Partnership for Environment and Disaster Risk Reduction (PEDRR) awareness-raising and learning event on ecosystem-based disaster risk reduction, 9AM, 09 May, room 5
• Keynote speech by IUCN Director General Julia Marton-Lefèvre, at the Global Assessment Report briefing, 9AM, 10 May, Room 1
• PEDRR Roundtable on “Managing Watersheds for Urban Resilience”, 10.45AM, 12 May, Room 3+4
• Making Disaster Risk Reduction Gender Sensitive, organized by UNISDR, 14.45-16.30, 12 May, Room 3+4
• Booth shared by PEDRR and Partners for Resilience (17 organisations), International Conference Centre Geneva, 9-13 May
IUCN is a partner of PEDRR. Formally established in 2008, the Partnership for Environment and Disaster Risk Reduction (PEDRR) is a global alliance of UN agencies, NGOs and specialist institutes. As a global thematic platform of the International Strategy for Disaster Reduction (ISDR), PEDRR seeks to promote and scale-up implementation of ecosystem-based disaster risk reduction and ensure it is mainstreamed in development planning at global, national and local levels, in line with the Hyogo Framework for Action. It provides technical and science-based expertise and applies best practices in ecosystems-based DRR approaches. PEDRR is guided by its vision of: “Resilient communities as a result of improved ecosystem management for disaster risk reduction (DRR) and climate change adaptation (CCA)”. Its objective is to pool expertise and advocate for policy change and best practice in ecosystem management for DRR and CCA, based on science, practitioners’ experience and indigenous knowledge.
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org