Vice-Governor, Kim Sun-woo from the Government of the Jeju Special Self-Governing Province, Republic of Korea, and IUCN’s Director General Julia Marton-Lefèvre, today signed a Memorandum of Understanding outlining areas of extensive cooperation.
The agreement focuses on the implementation of Resolutions and Recommendations relating to Jeju, approved at the 2012 IUCN World Conservation Congress.
“The signing of this Memorandum is particularly significant as a clear demonstration of the long-term commitment by a host of a World Conservation Congress to the follow-up of decisions adopted at the Congress. I hope that future Congress hosts will follow Jeju’s model of cooperation,” said Marton-Lefèvre.
Vice-Governor Kim responded by expressing his sincere appreciation for the ongoing close collaboration between IUCN and pledging Jeju’s full support to lead and implement agreed areas of cooperation.
Areas of cooperation include:
- The development of an Evaluation and Certification System for World Environmental Hubs (WCC-2012-Res-126).
- Establishment of an integrated management system for UNESCO protected areas (WCC-2012-Res-052).
- Support for conservation and sustainable use of Gotjawal forests in Jeju, Republic of Korea (WCC-2012-Res-063).
- Supporting the sustainability of Jeju Haenyeo as a unique marine ecology stewardship (WCC-2012-Res-082).
- Restoration and conservation of Jeju’s Hanon Maar Crater (WCC-2012-Rec-155)
- Follow-up to the “Jeju Declaration” with particular emphasis on the “Jeju World Leaders Conservation Forum”
- Exploring options and conditions for the establishment of an international institution of higher education for the environment in Jeju.
- Other areas of mutual interest.
The Memorandum was signed in front of a mounted copy of the Jeju Declaration, at IUCN Headquarters in Switzerland, in the presence of IUCN staff and a delegation from Jeju, including: Hyun Eul-Saeng, Executive Director of World Environmental Hub Bureau, Oh, Kyeong-Oe Chair of The Gotjawal Trust of Jeju, an IUCN Member; Lee Seok-Chang, Vice-Chair of the National Promotion Committee for the Hanon Crater; Dai-Yeon Chung, Director of the Sustainable Environmental Education Center of Jeju Special Self-Governing Province, an IUCN Member; and Suh Young-Bae, Chair of both the Korea National Committee of IUCN Members and the South and East Asia Regional Committee of IUCN Members.