Applications for IUCN Membership to be considered by the IUCN Council at its 2-4 June 2010 meeting
The list of applications and the descriptions of the organisations/institutions to be considered by the IUCN Council at its 2-4 June 2010 meeting have been sent to IUCN Members via email and are available on the IUCN Members’ Portal.
The deadline to object to an application is 19 March 2010.
According to the IUCN Regulations:
“12. Applications for membership shall reach the Director General at least six months before they are considered by the Council.
13. The applicant shall document its activities in conservation of nature and natural resources over at least a three-year period.
14. The Director General shall mail notice of an application together with the appropriate information on the applicant, to the Members of IUCN eligible to vote at least one hundred and forty days before the application is considered by the Council.
15. When a Member eligible to vote exercises its right to object to an application, such objection must reach the Director General at least seventy five days before the meeting of the Council at which the application is to be considered. (Deadline: 19 March 2010)
16. Such objection shall only be on grounds that the applicant does not meet the requirements of membership provided in the Statutes or prescribed in the Regulations. The objection shall give specific grounds and particulars on which the objection is based.
17. The applicant shall be given an opportunity to respond to the objection. Such response shall be received at least forty five days before the meeting of the Council at which the application is to be considered.
18.The Council having considered an application and any objections, and response thereto, may admit an applicant by a two-thirds majority of votes cast.
19. An appeal against any decision of the Council in respect of the admission shall be made within six months of notification of the Council's decision.
20. A Member shall promptly inform the Director General of any important change in the particulars supplied in support of its application for membership of IUCN which may affect its eligibility for such membership or for the Category of such membership."
For additional information, please contact the the IUCN Membership Unit: firstname.lastname@example.org