A Working Group on Protected Area Agency –based Science is examining the value and contribution of in-house agency science towards informing conservation management and policy. The group is working to:
- Promote policy-relevant science programs as a dimension of effective conservation;
- Report on the use of evidence and peer-reviewed science (including that generated by agency scientists) in making conservation decisions, including mitigating threats and managing protected areas;
- Develop principles for assessing in-house science achievements (regarding rigor, relevance and engagement) of conservation agencies;
- Create enabling environments for agency science functions (leadership styles, accountability and flexibility, essential resources and workspace); and
- Measure capacity of scientific work in agencies.
The Science and Management theme is also preparing a a draft code of practice for conduct of research and monitoring in protected areas (see the download in the right column).