Deadline 15 December 2018.
The Miller award will be presented at the III Latin American and Caribbean Congress of Protected Areas, Lima, Peru, March 17-20 2019.
Criteria for selection :
Nominations must be for protected area work executed in the Latin America and Caribbean region.
- Ideally, nominees are employed by an organization that is involved with protected area management, associated education or research. The organization can be public, private, NGO or community-based;
- Their innovation will fall within one or any combination of the following categories:
- Planning and management
- Assessment, monitoring and evaluation
- Learning and capacity-building
- Economics and financing
- The impact of his/her innovation can be demonstrated and will have been recognized and endorsed by peers at the local, national, and/or international level;
- The Award will give preference to candidates that have not have been previously recognized internationally for their innovation;
- The Award will not cover recognition for life-time service to protected areas or for bravery in their defense (as these merits are intended to be recognized by the IUCN/WCPA Packard Award).
Nomination Process :
- Nominations are called by the IUCN WCPA Chair at approximately 2 year intervals prior to key global and regional IUCN or WCPA meetings.
- Nominations are invited from WCPA Members and others involved with protected areas.
- The Award, its purpose and associated eligibility criteria is be announced in the WCPA newsletter and website, the IUCN Bulletin, and via cooperating conservation organizations
- The nomination must address the criteria and must include a draft citation of no more than 250 words.
- The IUCN WCPA Chair will establish a Selection Committee to examine the nominations all then identify the top three candidates. The Selection Committee will be jointly established by the IUCN WCPA Chair and the Director of the IUCN Global Protected Areas Programme. The Committee will be comprised of at least 3 representatives from IUCN WCPA, the IUCN Global Protected Areas Programme and/or other Conservation Agencies
- An independent Award Jury, consisting of three world-recognized conservation leaders will be established bye the IUCN WCPA Chair to analyze the three finalists, and select the winner.
- All Selection Committee members and Jury members will act independently and withdraw from the process if there is any real or perceived conflict of interest.
- (as these merits are intended to be recognized by the IUCN/WCPA Packard Award).
Venue for presentation
The award will normally be awarded at the WCPA Full Members Meeting at the IUCN World Conservation Congress. However it may also awarded at the World Parks Congress, WCPA Regional or other meetings, at the discretion of the WCPA Chair.
Photo: Kenton Miller Awardees at the World Parks Congress in Sydney, 2014