Deadline 15 December 2018.
The Packard award will be presented at the III Latin American and Caribbean Congress of Protected Areas, Lima, Peru, March 17-20 2019.
Criteria for selection
Nominations must be for protected area work executed in the Latin American and Caribbean region
- Exceptional personal or organizational dedication to protected area conservation, far exceeding normal expectations.
- Individual valour will be recognized.
- Demonstrated impact of this contribution beyond the nominees’ agency/country.
- Contribution to conservation efforts that have impact on other sectors beyond protected areas.
How does the Award work?
- Nominations are requested by WCPA Chair every 2 years in January/February and prior to key global and regional IUCN and or WCPA meetings.
- Nominations are invited from WCPA Members and others involved with protected areas.
- The Award, its purpose and associated eligibility criteria, are announced in the WCPA newsletter and website, and via cooperating conservation organizations.
- The nomination must address the criteria and must include a draft citation of no more than 250 words.
- The WCPA Chair will establish a Selection Committee to examine the nominations and to identify the top candidates. The Selection Committee will be jointly established by the Chair, WCPA and the Director of GPAP. The Committee will be comprised of at least include 3 representatives from IUCN-WCPA, the Global Protected Areas Program and /or other Conservation Agencies.
- The WCPA EXCO will act as a jury to analyze the finalists, and select the winner.
- All Selection Committee members and Jury members will act independently and withdraw from the process if there is any real or perceived conflict of interest.
Outstanding service to Protected Areas
The Fred Packard Award is named for the individual who served as Secretary to the World Commission on Protected Areas in the early 1970s. He established an award in recognition of "valour" which has been used to recognise rangers who lost their lives in defence of wildlife and protected areas.
The award will normally be awarded at the WCPA Full Members Meeting at the IUCN World Conservation Congress. However it may also awarded at the World Parks Congress, WCPA Regional or other meetings, at the discretion of the Chair of WCPA.