The main purpose of this grant is to encourage and promote activities that contribute to the Species Conservation Cycle established in our Species Strategic Plan 2017-2020, through the allocation of small funds —from ($USD) $2,000 to $3,500. In addition, as well as falling under the Species Conservation Cycle framework, we also seek to support those activities specified by SSC groups in their annual ‘SSC Data’ target setting and reporting effort.
We will have two rounds of applications per year, which will be open during January and June. This 2020 and based on the feedback gathered from the SSC Leaders during the 4th Leaders Meeting last October, in Abu Dhabi, we decided to open both rounds for all of the components of our Species Conservation Cycle. It means that we will fund requests related to:
- Network: Capacity building, internal organization meetings and synergy.
- Assess: Red List assessments and research activities.
- Plan: Development of conservation action plans and also policy initiatives which influence positive conservation outcomes for species.
- Act: Implementation of conservation action plans and technical advice on conservation actions.
- Communicate: Enhancing and strengthening communications to e.g., increase visibility and exposure of the group, raising awareness and converting awareness to action, improve connections and collaborations, being a key information provider.
Please refer to the SSC Data sheet your group completed for more detailed information on what these categories cover.
This grant opportunity will be open for all our Specialist Groups, Stand-Alone Red List Authorities, Task Forces and Conservation Committees. Any SSC group interested in applying should:
- Have sent their SSC Data to the SSC Chair’s Office with results completed for targets set in 2018 and targets for the current quadrennium.
- Clearly specify the activity which requires financial support, to be carried out in 2020, and contributes to a target set for the current quadrennium. Priority will be given to those targets set for completion during 2020.
- Include supporting information related to the activity to be carried out e.g., clarify what activity is to be carried out and how the funds will contribute to it (website links, promotional information, etc.).
We are delighted to announce that from this round on, the NGO Planta! - PlantLife Conservation Society will contribute with us providing financial support to the value of up to US$6,000 —annually—, to be allocated on projects related to Plant Specialist Groups. Thanks to this wonderful partnership we will be able to fund one more Specialist Group during each round.
How to apply
All applications must be submitted through the following [Google form]. Please note that each SSC group can submit ONE application only per round and applications by email will not be accepted.
US$2,000 - $3,500
Funds can be used to cover the partial or total cost of the proposed activity.
Timelines and eligibility
There will be two calls per year, open during January and June. Successful applications will be confirmed in March and August respectively. The current round will be open from January 6th to February 2nd 2020 —11:59 PM (GMT-4) Caracas, Venezuela—, and approvals will be announced early March 2020.
Each round the SSC Chair’s Office will select around 8-12 grantees. Consideration will be given to the network priorities of the Species Strategic Plan 2017-2020, the funds available to allocate in each call, as well as the groups/activity determined to have the more urgent support needs. We will also take into account whether the group has received funds from this grant previously, to ensure the benefits of this grant can reach the diversity of groups across the network.
For further information, please contact Nahomy De Andrade