The Commission on Ecosystem Management Steering Committee decided at its meeting September 9-15, 2018 Jordan, to divide West and Central Asia into two separate regions, West Asia and Central Asia.
States of the Region
Azerbaijan - Iran - Kazakhstan - Kyrgyzstan - Pakistan - Tajikistan - Turkmenistan - Uzbekistan.
Main Targets in CEM´s 2018 - 2020 work plan
1. To prepare a list of important Threatened Wetland Ecosystems of Central Asia regional Countries.
2. Promote and Develop Capacity Building at all levels via training and research studies programs.
3. Interaction with the Commissions, CEM thematic groups, Researchers, local population of regional countries for actions towards the protection, management, sustainably manage and restoration of natural or modified ecosystems, that address societal challenges effectively and adaptively, simultaneously providing human well-being and biodiversity benefits (Nature-based Solutions principles).
4. Preparation of reports, publications, educational materials for young people, and the local community regarding the Ecosystems Nature-based Solutions for regional countries.
5. Preparation/ participation in the national/ regional and international conferences/ meetings/discussions/ seminars according CEM/ CEM's Specialist Group mission for biodiversity conservation and Nature-based Solutions principles.
6. Preparation of the List of the scientific publications about the ecosystems and key species of the regional countries.
7. Increase CEM membership in Central Asia region.
Central Asia will focus on working with the our regional scientists, members, secretariat, governmental organizations and NGO's to carry out the following Programs during 2018 - 2020:
1. Links in Biodiversity Conservation, Ecosystem Services and Climate Change
2. Monitoring, Conservation and Management of Protected Areas
3. Conservation and Management of Protected Areas with GIS and Drone
4. Conservation and Management of Wetlands
5. Assessment of Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services of Wetlands
Specific Ecosystems and Biomes Oriented Programs
Central Asia will continue to our academic and scientific awareness programs for specific ecosystems such as Arid, Mangrove ecosystems, wetlands, etc.