Project Title: Integrated Management of Biodiversity at Tata Steel LTD
Location: Tata Steel mining sites in state of Jharkhand and Odisha, India
Duration: July 2013 – March 2016
Project Background: Since 2013, IUCN and Tata Steel have been working together to enhance the company’s performance towards biodiversity conservation into their operations. This partnership has led to the development of a corporate biodiversity policy and subsequently biodiversity management plans for the selected mining sites of Tata Steel.
The overall aim of the partnership is to integrate biodiversity concerns into policy, strategic planning and environmental management at all operational levels of TATA Steel. This includes reviewing existing policies and strategic planning, assessing ecosystems and biodiversity in and around mine sites, as well as conducting trainings and workshops within the company and with stakeholders. The final component is promoting best practice to the wider industry and conservation communities through dialogue, which will, in turn, provide input to the development of minerals policies and laws.
Globally recognised tools including Integrated Biodiversity Assessment Tool (IBAT), Ecosystem Services Review (ESR), and Businesses Ecosystem Training (BET) are being used in the project implementation.
Objectives of Project:
The project objectives are to:
- Review and assess the approach of Tata Steel to biodiversity conservation management and develop a comprehensive corporate biodiversity policy and strategy for the company
- Enhance knowledge of biodiversity conservation and management within Tata steel and local stakeholders and develop a mechanism for collaborative activities
- Promote good practice by sharing the learning with the wider industry and conservation communities through dialogue, which will provide input into the development of Indian minerals policies and laws.
The outputs of the project are:
- Corporate Biodiversity Policy for Tata Steel Mining operations in India
- Biodiversity Management Plans for eight mining sites in India
- Capacity building workshop for Tata Steel staff at corporate as well as site level
- Training workshops for local stakeholders at each mining site
- Dissemination of project outcomes to the wider community
Donors: Tata Steel Limited
Partners: Green Future Foundation (GFF)