The mission of the IUCN/SSC African Elephant Specialist Group is to promote the long-term conservation of Africa's elephants throughout their range.
New Update of the African Elephant Database!
The African Elephant Database has recently been updated with the latest summary totals at the continental, sub-regional, and country levels. Visit the database to learn more, and check out the news story below!
Recognition from SSC for Significant Achievements in Conservation
AfESG Chair Holly Dublin and longtime member Tom Milliken were recently recognized for their outstanding contributions to conservation when they received the Sir Peter Scott Award for Con. Please click to learn more about this award and their work over the years!
On this page, you will find a wealth of information about the activities of the AfESG as well as a variety of useful downloads and links.
- Learn more about human elephant conflict and the tools available to help mitigate it.
- Explore the African Elephant Library.
- Read Pachyderm, and submit manuscripts for consideration!
- Find out more about the various tools the AfESG has developed to help with translocation, managing locally overabundant elephants, and counting elephants.
- Read official AfESG statements on captive elephants and elephant genetics.
- Many countries have prepared elephant management plans and strategies. These are gathered together for ease of access.