Central Africa and West Africa Members’ Committees unified
16 July 2010 | News story
After the merger of the two IUCN Regional Offices in Central Africa and West Africa, and the creation of the Central and West Africa Programme (PACO) in 2008, the much-awaited establishment of a single Regional Committee replacing the Regional Committee for Central Africa (CRAC) and the West African Members’ Committee (CMAO) is now a reality.
This was made possible at the regional meeting of PACO Members, held on 15-17 June 2010 in Sally, Senegal, attended by around 40 Members.The meeting unanimously decided to establish a provisional Regional Committee of PACO Members. The Executive Bureau is made up of seven members, as follows:
- Chairman: The Honourable MP and Mayor Mamadou DIALLO (ASAN - Senegal)
- Vice-President: Isaac Moussa (ANN - Congo) ;
- Secretary-General: Clément BIHOUN (NATURAMA - Burkina Faso)
- Deputy Secretary-General: Nicolau MENDES (Palmeirhina - Guinea Bissau) ;
- Treasurer: Cheickna SIDIBE (DONKO – Mali)
- Communication Officer: Aby DRAME (ENDA-Tiers Monde – Senegal)
- Programme/Project Manager: Jonas Kemajou Syapze (OPED – Cameroon)
The new Committee immediately tackled the preparation of a work plan, including the following key elements:
i) Development of a roadmap for the Regional Forum of PACO Members;
ii) Drafting and completion of the Regional Committee’s Statutes and Rules of Procedure;
iii) A meeting of the Members’ Regional Forum, which is to be held during the first half of 2011.
The Regional Forum will enable regional Members to organize their attendance to the Jeju World Conservation Congress and to establish a permanent Regional Committee. These initiatives will strengthen regional Members and synergies between them, thus contributing to the achievement of IUCN intersessional Programme outcomes in the PACO Region.