Strengthening IUCN commissions in West Asia
30 July 2009 | News story
IUCN Regional Office for West Asia (ROWA) is in the process to devise a strategy for engaging and activating the commission members in the West Asia Region in a purposeful manner. IUCN ROWA is keen to working with all of the commissions to make a difference in the ONE Programme Concept. Therefore, a number of focal points were from the secretariat and commissions were appointed to take the lead in facilitating the process of strengthening the role of commissions in the region.
The focal points are as follows:
- World Commission on Protected Areas (WCPA): Mr. Khaldoun Alomari (Secretariat), Mr. Maher Mahjoub, WCPA Vice Chair for MENA Region (Commission).
- Commission on Education and Communication (CEC): Ms Rania Faouri (Secretariat), Dr Sherif Kandil (Commission).
- Commission on Ecosystem Management (CEM): Mr. Peter Laban and Mr. Fadi Shraideh (Secretariat), Ms Angela Andrade (Commission).
- Commission on Environmental Economic and Social Policy (CEESP): Ms Fidaa Haddad (Secretariat), Dr. Taghi Farvar (Commission).
- Species Survival Commission (SSC): Mr. Khaldoun Alomari and Dr. Mohamed Eltayeb (Secretariat), Dr Brahim Haddane (Commission).
- Commission on Environmental Law (CEL): Dr. Odeh Al-Jayyousi, Regional Director (Secretariat), Mr. Seyed Mohammad Mehdi Hosseini (Commission).