International Young Conservationist Award - recognises and raises awareness of the outstanding contributions made by young people to the conservation of protected areas
Established in 2003 at the Vth IUCN World Pars Congress, the International Young Conservationist Award is a joint initiative of the International Ranger Federation (IRF) and WCPA.
The International Young Conservationist Award recognises and raises awareness of the outstanding contributions made by young people to the conservation of protected areas; it honours their efforts and their passion, dedication and commitment. It also seeks to encourage young professionals and, by presenting the award at a global conservation event, provides them with an opportunity to develop networks to enable them to further enhance their efforts.
Who can be nominated?
Young professionals actively working to protect and manage protected areas, including rangers, interpreters, people working with local communities, scientists showing an :
- Extraordinary dedication to protected areas
- Passion and commitment
- An innovative approach to protected area management, Self-sacrifice (time, costs, physical bravery, etc.)
Who can nominate?
Nominations are encouraged from individuals who are familiar with the accomplishments of the nominee. The nominee may also self nominate with strong letters of recommendation.
Who selects the winner and how are they selected?
Nominations will be shortlisted by the Young Conservationist Award (YCA) Committee; this Committee consists of representatives of the IRF and IUCN/WCPA.
The President of the IRF, the WCPA Chair and the Chair of the YCA Committee select the recipient based on their responses to the questions on the nomination form and the testimony provided by the referees.
Benefits for the recipient
The opportunity to showcase their achievements
- International recognition at an international event and through the WCPA, IRF, George Wright Society websites
- All expenses paid to the international event for the award presentation
- International recognition through publicity on WCPA, IRF, George Wright Society websites
- The opportunity to establish contacts and develop networks
- Membership of the IUCN WCPA Young Professionals Group and the IRF’s mailing list.
- IRF/WCPA Young Conservationist Award Plaque and Certificate