Three meetings and regional consultations took place to negotiate the establishment of IPBES.
At the 1st Intergovernmental and Multistakeholder meeting on IPBES in Malaysia, in November 2008, there participants generally agreeded that there was a genuine need to strengthen the science-policy interface.
At the 2nd Intergovernmental and Multistakeholder meeting on IPBES in Nairobi, Kenya in October 2009, participants had in-depth discussion on the possible governance structure and the role of a potential new mechanism.
In preparation for the third IPBES meeting, UNEP organized regional consultative meetings:
- In Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC), at the Forum of Environment Ministers of LAC, Panama, 26-30 April 2010.
- In Africa, just before the SBSTTA meeting in Nairobi, Kenya, 7-8 May 2010.
- In Eastern Europe, in Geneva, Switzerland, 25-26 May 2010.
- In Central Asia in Almaty, Kazakhstan, 19-20 May 2010.
- Permanent Representatives in New York, USA, 23 April 2010.
- In North America, 27 April 2010.
- Committee of Permanent Representatives in Nairobi, Kenya: IPBES was included as an agenda item at the CPR meeting, 4 April 2010.
Find more information on the outcomes of the regional consultations here.
The 3rd and final Intergovernmental and Multistakeholder meeting on IPBES was held in Busan, Republic of Korea, 7-11 June 2010. During this meeting, governments agreed to establish a new mechanism for strengthening and improving existing science-policy interfaces. The main issues negotiated at the 3rd meeting on IPBES included:
- Do we need a new mechanism for strengthening the science-policy interface ?
- If so, what should be the scope of IPBES?
- What would be the key functions of IPBES?
- What would be the legal basis and governance structure of IPBES?
- What would the IPBES secretariat look like?
- How would IPBES be funded?
The outcomes for the 3rd IPBES meeting are available here.