As a large footprint and resource-intensive industry, the extractive sectors are a priority for business engagement. Engaging with sectors such as oil & gas, mining, and building materials is central to IUCN’s work to promote a green economy and sustainable development.
IUCN’s Business and Biodiversity Programme aims to:
- Encourage the integration of biodiversity risk management measures in the business operations of building material companies
- Establish a No Net Loss/Net Positive Impact Protocol
- Support stakeholder participation in the revision and implementation of oil & gas company remediation guidelines in the Niger Delta
- Launch the development of the Aluminium Stewardship Initiative's sustainability standard
- Promote a more effective implementation of the World Heritage Convention