Objectives, activities and outcomes
Following the launch of the IUCN-ICMM Dialogue on Mining and Biodiversity at the World Summit on Sustainable Development in 2002, Terms of Reference were developed for work in 2003. Mainly focusing on preparing inputs to the Vth IUCN World Parks Congress, this work included:
1. Developing best practice guidelines/principles and reporting criteria for the mining industry
- IUCN-ICMM Workshop on Mining, Protected Areas and Biodiversity Conservation: Searching and Pursuing Best Practice and Reporting in the Mining Industry
Participants (pdf) l Workshop outline (pdf) l Workshop summary (pdf)
2. A review of the application of the protected areas category system to mining
3. A review of the environment and mining related legislation in selected countries
4. Contribution to the State of the World Protected Areas Report 2003
5. Participation of the private sector in the Vth IUCN World Parks Congress
- ICMM and member company participation at the Vth IUCN Work Parks Congress, including in the Extractive Industries and Protected Areas Plenary Session.
The Dialogue was extended in 2004 for a further five years.