Fundraising and Outreach Internship
FUNDRAISING and OUTREACH INTERNSHIP
- Spring/Summer and Fall (3-month commitment requested)
- Part-Time (approximately 15-20 hours/week)
- Salary: Unpaid
IUCN’s Development Department, called the Strategic Partnerships Unit, is seeking a recent college graduate or graduate student to support the Fundraising Officer. He/she will help with fundraising, donor stewardship, and grants management and analysis. The Fundraising Intern should be a high-energy, confident individual with excellent research, outreach and database/computer skills. The applicant should be comfortable juggling multiple priorities, be detail-oriented, flexible, possess excellent interpersonal skills, and be a team player.
- Outreach: Attend events and meetings on behalf of IUCN. Specifically, the fall intern will play a major role in representing IUCN during the Combined Federal Campaign of the National Capital Area (CFCNCA). The CFCNCA is the annual charitable giving campaign for the 350,000 civilian, military, and postal personnel in the Washington, DC metropolitan area, and the largest charitable campaign in the world. The campaign runs from September –December 15. The intern will attend the major CFCNCA events at federal buildings throughout the DC metropolitan area. He/she may give 1-3 minute presentations about IUCN to federal employees. He/she will also participate in event outreach, tabling, and logistics.
- Research: Conduct prospect research and write summary papers on corporations, foundations, and individuals, using internet, print and electronic sources, as well as in-house files and documents.
- Database Management and Analysis: Access and update funder database as needed. Provide analysis of current donors lists, including the 2010 CFC list. May assist in helping to develop and execute the IUCN-US grants management system.
- Communications/Social Media: Research and engage in new social media tools for fundraising.
- General and Administrative Support: Support IUCN’s fundraising and outreach efforts (including donor appeals and special events). Assist the Administrative Assistant and Director as needed.
Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel required. Fundraising experience, database management, writing, public speaking and outreach experience, and/or graphic design experience is a plus. Interest in environmental issues strongly encouraged.
This internship is in a small but busy department in a well-respected environmental and scientific institution. The internship will provide significant insight into and understanding of various aspects of non-profit fundraising, including event-planning, stewardship of corporate, foundation, government and individual funders, as well as the solicitation process involved in researching, identifying, and soliciting potential new funders. The intern will receive exposure to IUCN programs, and will have the opportunity to attend “brown bags” and presentations by in-house and external experts. The friendly staff and numerous international interns present a fun and challenging work environment.
Dupont Circle in Washington, DC
Please email a resume and cover letter to Larissa Hotra, firstname.lastname@example.org. Position open until filled.