Regional Conservation Fora were organized in each IUCN Region in preparation for the World Conservation Congress which will take place from 6 to 15 September 2012 in Jeju, Republic of Korea. Regional Fora convene IUCN’s constituency to discuss regional issues and provide regional input to the IUCN Global Programme to be adopted by the Members at the Congress.
Hosted with the generous support of the City of Bonn, the German federal state of North Rhine Westphalia and the European Union, the four-day forum was held under the slogan “Switch to Action!”. And action for nature was indeed on the mind of the participants.
Among the key recommendations that emerged from the discussions were:
Reinforcing IUCN’s role in bringing together different actors from across society to find solutions for biodiversity
- How the IUCN network in Europe can be better connected and mobilised
- Europe’s important role in the global discourse and how IUCN Europe can lead by example
- Putting the restoration of degraded habitats at the core of IUCN’s work
- How IUCN can help improve how biodiversity is communicated to policy makers and the general public
- How IUCN can be clearer and more impactful in its work with, and how it influences, the European Union
- Using IUCN’s unique knowledge products to help promote nature-based solutions to a wider audience
- How IUCN can better help local authorities and cities play an essential role in managing natural resources
- Growing IUCN’s work with business, making sure that the right approaches are used to maintain IUCN’s independence and credibility.
All ideas, suggestions and input gathered at the meeting are integrated in the new global IUCN Programme, and help define the action plan for IUCN in Europe for the years to come.This event was organized in cooperation with: