On the Final Straight to 2010 – Promoting Countdown 2010 in the Southern Caucasus and beyond
12 January 2010 | Project completed
Building on the results of the Countdown 2010 action programme ‘Halting the loss of biodiversity in the Southern Caucasus’, the IUCN Programme Office for the Southern Caucasus implemented further actions, summarized in the programme On the final straight to 2010. The actions were derived from the Message of Gudauri and aimed at intensified and concrete efforts to reach the 2010 Biodiversity Target in the Southern Caucasus and steer the post-2010 process.
The programme On the final straight to 2010 consisted of several elements which all contributed to the creation of enabling conditions for effective biodiversity conservation and development of the necessary capacities:
1. Improved capacity and technical skills for the emerging national biodiversity monitoring systems in Armenia, Azerbaijan and Georgia. Supporting national Red List commissions and projects, through provision of IUCN tools, methodologies, and training courses.
2. Support the implementation of the regional system of protected areas and increase capacity of management authorities based on newly produced strategies and action plans,
3. Improved and coherent national implementation of biodiversity related conventions based on issue-based modules (TEMATEA) in Armenia and Moldova
4. Promoted ecotourism as a sustainable form of natural resource use through publications and websites
5. Increased public awareness of biodiversity conservation and of the 2010 Biodiversity Target.
Donor: Royal Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Partners: The Environment Ministries of the three South Caucasus countries
Duration: 08/2008 – 05/2010
Contact Person: Ramaz Gokhelashvili