India's CEE to host COP 11 workshop on positive action towards biodiversity
05 October 2012 | News story
The Centre for Environment Education offers the side event ‘Handprint for Biodiversity' the CEPA Fair on 10 October from 10 am to 1 pm.
By Purvi Vas, CEE Programme Officer
Handprint for Biodiversity – Positive action towards biodiversity conservation
Handprint is the symbol of, measure for, and commitment to positive action towards sustainability. Handprint also stands for caring, and working together towards a sustainable future. While the Footprint is a measure of human pressure on earth’s resources, the Handprint is a measure of what we can do individually, and together, to restore the balance between consumption and the planet’s carrying capacity.
Handprint stands for:
- Positive & tangible action and projects towards sustainability, an integral part of Education for Sustainable Development (ESD).
- A tool to calculate the extent of ESD action being taken and the positive impact of our actions on Sustainable Development.
- A symbol of commitment through a pledge to act.
- A caring attitude. Extending a helping hand in caring for the planet and all life on it.
- Networking and collaboration. Joining hands for the common goal of sustainability on Earth—the only known living planet.
The Handprint side event is an opportunity to share this concept and its use in different contexts. This is planned in the group discussion format. Each group will discuss one of the five strands of the Handprint, and arrive at a list of Handprint ideas for biodiversity conservation. The discussions will be consolidated through a plenary presentation. The outcomes from this discussion would serve as an input into the International Conference on Biodiversity Conservation and Education for Sustainable Development which is being organized by CEE on October 13-14 alongside the COP 11. Please visit this link for more details about this and other events.
We invite you to participate in the Handprint side event. Please do share this invitation with participants to your side events and exhibition.
Date: October 10, 2012
Time: 10:00 to 13:00 hours
Venue: HICC ground floor, CEPA Fair
We look forward to having you with us.
Please confirm participation by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org (Ms. Purvi Vyas) by 4 October 2012.